Date:      Fri, 24 Jan 2014 18:45:37 -0500
From:      Aryeh Friedman <aryeh.friedman@gmail.com>
To:        Big Lebowski <spankthespam@gmail.com>
Cc:        freebsd-ports <freebsd-ports@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: What is the problem with ports PR reaction delays?

On Fri, Jan 24, 2014 at 6:30 PM, Big Lebowski <spankthespam@gmail.com>wrote:

> Hi everyone,
>
> I wanted to ask about the growing time of reaction to ports PR's - what is
> the problem? It seems to me, as a ports contributor, that this time is only
> growing, not shrinking, and there's no formal/automated procedures that
> would help in managing the issue.
>
> Today I found myself fighting with ezjail only to discover it has issues
> working on FreeBSD 10.0-R. Great, I thought, there must be something else,
> so I went to make the research. It appears there isnt much more, and the
> alternatives are qjail that seems to be quite dated and zjails, that's not
> in ports. Not long after looking into zjails, what seems to be a great
> tool, I found its port submission sits there since... September 2013. Now,
> given the fact the Docker is on mouth of everyone, and containers are
> getting a lot of attention, FreeBSD looks really bad with no tools to
> manage such great technology like Jails, especially when ezjail, unofficial
> industry standard to manage jails, is now broken and zjails waits to be
> accepted (or even rejected) for so much time.

Why not test on a VM instead of a jail it seems this is a even more
accurate test because you can run bare metal installs (I have run to some
ports [including some of my own]) that worked with jail/tinderbox but
failed a full bare metal install.   Take a look at -virtualization@ for
ideas, the proposed handbook entry on virtualization (
http://www.petitecloud.org) or just use a front end like petitecloud (yes
yet an other port waiting for comitting [one this one there are some bugs
though])

What is the problem? Isnt there enought commiters? Isnt there a automated
> PR handling procedure reminding commiters with relevant access about such
> submissions? Can we help? I hope to spark some discussion.

I have made a couple of scripts for automated this for specific ports but
not for all (the VM test method)... if you want I can post them (they are
high;y specific to installing the petitecloud port though)