Date:      Tue, 6 Jun 1995 14:28:27 +0200 (SAT)
From:      John Hay <jhay@mikom.csir.co.za>
To:        kallio@jyu.fi (Seppo Kallio)
Cc:        wraith@hollywood.cinenet.net, questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Anon FTP --> How to?

> At 7:35 6/6/95, John Hay wrote:
> >I don't think the standard ftpd can do things like that. You will need
> >something like wu-ftpd which is a package. That is what most of the ftp
> >sites use.
>
> Someone did alarm about wu-ftp. wu-ftpd is running as root and you can use
> site -command to declare yourself as root user.
>
> Seppo

When you do a anonymous ftp to wu-ftp it does a chroot to your ftp directory
and it changes the user to ftp. If there is a security hole before it does
this maybe it is true, but otherwise it will be difficult. I did a "ps -aux"
on the machine running wu-ftpd and it is running as user ftp. Maybe it was a
previous version (before v2.4) that had such a problem?

--
John Hay -- jhay@mikom.csir.co.za