Date:      Mon, 21 Dec 1998 10:05:53 +1000 (EST)
From:      Q <q@fan.net.au>
To:        Peter Hawkins <peter@clari.net.au>
Cc:        freebsd-hackers@FreeBSD.ORG, custserv2@corel.ca
Subject:   Re: Howto: wordperfect 8

On Sun, 20 Dec 1998, Peter Hawkins wrote:

> Unfortunately it does not install as documented but you can do it anyway as
> follows:

Yes it does... if you follow the instructions exactly. It should be noted
that the installation instructions, specifically those at download.com are
case sensitive. :)  If you have a peek inside the Runme script it becomes
evident what is happening.

> 4. the distribution is *not* gzcompressed despite the extensions and the
>    documentation. Just use tar xvf to extract the kit. (if you get it as
>    seven separate parts, each is a separate tar file and untar them all
>    separately:
>
> 	foreach i (0 1 2 3 4 5 6)
> 	tar xvf GUI0${i}.GZ
> 	done

They are compressed, netscape probably gunzipped it/them for you. The
problem you do have however is the filenames must be in LOWER CASE!!!.

You can correctly do the installation by doing something along
these lines (assuming the files are still gzipped):

gunzip GUI*
foreach a (GUI*)
tar -xvf $a
mv $a `echo $a | awk '{ printf(tolower($0)) }'`
end
./Runme

> 5. The Runme installer fails so to install do the following in the directory
>    from which you did step 4 above:

[snip]

The Runme script will run fine with the tar files correctly named.

> 6. (a) Don't attempt to install non-us dictionaries or thesauruses - if you
>        can work out how let me know! They do not seem to be there for me.

If you correctly run the installation script you will only be given the
option of US dictionaries.

>    (b) ignore the warnings about files not being found

There should be only one message that is displayed relating to trailing
text in the OS version number (or at least there was on my 3.0 system).

>    (c) ignore the lack of printer drivers in the menu and continue without
>        installing a printer - it seems to install them all anyway (at least
>        it did for me)

A correctly run installation will allow you to select a printer and bind
it to a print spool.

I think perhaps you should try your installation again.. maybe this time
you will have more luck.

Seeya...Q

                          _____  /      Quinton Dolan - q@fan.net.au
  __  __/  /   /   __/   /      /          Systems Administrator
     /    __  /   _/    /      /            Fast Access Network
  __/  __/ __/ ____/   /   -  /          Gold Coast, QLD, Australia
                    _______  /              Ph: +61 7 5574 1050
                           \_\                 SAGE-AU Member