Date:      Tue, 23 Oct 2001 08:40:28 -0500
From:      Mike Meyer <mwm@mired.org>
To:        Thomas Fiebig <tfie@lrs.e-technik.uni-erlangen.de>
Cc:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Mike Meyer: Results of my installation marathon

Thomas Fiebig <tfie@lrs.e-technik.uni-erlangen.de> types:
> KERNCONF=SLAVEKERNEL'. No error messages occured, but: make write the *.ko files
> into the root directory / and not into /modules. After restarting the slave the

That was a bug on the -stable branch. I've been told it's since been
fixed, but haven't verified it. Since my workstation is in pieces and
I'm using my test machine as a backup, I'm not going to be verifying
it anytime soon.

> way you told me ('shutdown -r now' and 'shutdown now'), lots of error messages
> occured on the screen. Some hardware wasn't found (hardware, that was included
> in the old slave kernel, but not in the new one, I had modified to meet my
> hardware). Several times the message 'stray IRQ7' occured until another message
> told me that this error will not be logged any longer.

I'm worried a bit about the *.ko files being in /. Move modules to
modules.old (removing the old modules.old), then mkdir modules and
move all the *.ko files to modules and try booting again.

> 1. Do I have to modify the '/usr/src/Makefile' by  including the
> '/etc/make.conf' and if yes, at which position I have do include this statement?
> If no what did I wrong?

You don't have to include it. The only thing I can think that you did
wrong was got the name of the variable wrong in make.conf.

> 2. Is there a known problem in the last version of FreeBSD which caused these
> installation problems? I had a FreeBSD 4.4-STABLE version from 18th of September
> and everything went well, now with 4.4-STABLE the described problems occured.

Some of them at least.

> 3. What does the 'stray IRQ7' message tell me?

That you've got a buggy bit of hardware. I think 7 is normally the
printer.

> PS: There is just anoher thing, I want to mention: I have to mount the /usr/obj
> directory and the /usr/src directory of the master direct to /usr/obj and
> /usr/src on the slave. If I do it with a e.g. /mnt directory, the making of
> installkernel on the slave doesn't work because of the directory entry. Is this
> right???

Right.

	<mike
Q: How do you make the gods laugh?		A: Tell them your plans.