Date:      Thu, 13 Nov 97 23:25:46 -0800
From:      "Studded" <Studded@dal.net>
To:        "FreeBSD Stable List" <FreeBSD-Stable@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Serious problem with ipfw in 11/10 Snap

	I was going to try and put more detail in this, but I don't have the time to
do any digging right now.  After using a tried and true make world process to
upgrade to the 2.2-stable snap from 11/10, I built the kernel with the same options
that were working in an earlier 2.2-stable snap, including ipfw, and rebooted only
to find a dead machine.  What happened was that an error somewhere in the ipfw
code caused the default rule of deny all from any to any to load as rule 00000
instead of 65535, causing the box to be locked out from the net.  The rule
persisted even after a flush, so it was definitely a problem with the code.

	The 11/11 snap does not have this problem, and we're happily running it
now.  At the same time, the person who owns the hardware and bandwidth our
server runs on is extremely frustrated with FreeBSD.  This is twice now that
we've been bitten in the ass by foolish mistakes in ipfw in what is supposed to be
the STABLE branch.  He suggested that if this happens again, he's going to put
up a note on the server for the 40,000 users we get every day apologizing for
the outage, and explaining that they can blame it on FreeBSD.  IPFW problems
are especially bad for us because our 2 servers are in a colo that goes without
people for several days.  Therefore, problems that isolate the machines from the
net can cost us days in uptime.

	I've two reasons for writing this.  The most important is to notify whoever
is working on this part of the code, and helpfully make sure it doesn't happen
again.  Secondly, to urge caution when changes are made to -stable.  I know that
y'all are volunteers, but so am I.  :)  Finally, if anyone can tell me exactly where in
the code I can look to double check this problem in the future, I'd appreciate it.
If ever there was a case for the default rule to be open, I'd say this is it.  :-/

Thanks,

Doug