Date:      Tue, 24 Aug 1999 13:49:24 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Gary Kline <kline@tera.com>
To:        kstewart@3-cities.com (Kent Stewart)
Cc:        kline@tera.com, Networks.Manager@rncm.ac.uk, rivers@dignus.com, k4n@hotmail.com, roelof@nisser.com, freebsd-doc@FreeBSD.ORG, freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: FreeBSD webdesign

According to Kent Stewart:

> Gary Kline wrote:
> >
> >         I've played around with black on grey85 and it's fairly
> >         reasonable.  I've also experiments with bright
> >         green|orange|blue typefaces on black... uhh, no.
>
> I have a tendancy to like bright white on dark blue but it depends on
> the font. When the font is terrible, I go for black on white. I can
> read it down to about 4 point type on a 19" monitor. Combinations of
> dark red or green on black kills me. The fact that these phosphour's
> are every third one, probably has something to do with it, i.e., a
> real lack of definition. I can read it if I jump the monitor back to
> 640 x 480 from 1152 x 854 or 1600 x 1280 but then I am running
> *Window* because I can only have one window on the screen at a time.

   I've come across some of the "micro-print" sites.  On my 17"
   1280x1024 tube at home, it's painful to read, whatever color
   the fg/bg.

> >         Has anybody on the list found any websites with presentation
> >         information?
>
> The only one I know of is
> http://webknowhow.net/dir/Design/Miscellaneous/. There site has much
> more. It is mostly links to somewhere else. Helen Triantafillou has a
> site at http://users.hol.gr/~andreas/hexcolor.htm that lists many
> combinations of colors and their hex values.

  Noted and saved away, thanks much.

  I asked one of our GUI wizards and he suggested doing what Netscape
  and other commercial apps did.  So I'm following that way pretty
  much.  I did search around for awhile; didn't find your design sites,
  tho.  Black on grey may be the best compromise, but it leaves me cold!

  gary