Date:      Thu, 7 May 1998 01:10:27 -0300 (EST)
From:      Joao Carlos Mendes Luis <jonny@coe.ufrj.br>
To:        rkw@dataplex.net (Richard Wackerbarth)
Cc:        skafte@worldgate.com, mdragon@vera.net, freebsd-net@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Have I left something out?

#define quoting(Richard Wackerbarth)
// However on the machine which has the point of failure, even though the
// interface is marked "down", it still insists that that is THE route to
// any machines which would be on that net.

Do you mean in the same subnetwork ?  Local routes always have preference
over RIP routes.  And marking an interface down will not remove the
local route through it.

For networks other than local, I think that there's no problem.

// I think that I will try moving an "essential service" daemon onto an alias in
// the lo0 interface and see if a route to it gets spread properly.

This is how I do things here.  My IP aliases are in the ethernet
interface, but in the loopback interface.  If they're in the same
subnet, export with arp published.  If they're in different subnets,
export with gated.  For your case, the second approach is probably
better.

In the end, since there's no local address, RIP will always be
used, and destination router discovery will succeed.  There's
a penalty: You lose one full subnet with each machine with
"essential services".  Maybe using subnet variant routing
protocols like OSPF could help, but I don't know them enough
to talk about.

					Jonny

--
Joao Carlos Mendes Luis			jonny@gta.ufrj.br