Date:      Thu, 26 Aug 2004 16:46:40 +0700
From:      Victor Sudakov <sudakov@sibptus.tomsk.ru>
To:        Oliver Eikemeier <eikemeier@fillmore-labs.com>
Cc:        ports@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: the samba 2.2.11 port and popt

--3MwIy2ne0vdjdPXF

Oliver Eikemeier wrote:
>=20
> >The dependency on ports/devel/popt brings a real dependency hell:
> >popt depends on gettext which depends on expat etc etc.
> >Many people do not desire this.
>=20
> That's what `WITHOUT_NLS=3Dyes' is for. When you don't use this option=20

This option is always in my /etc/make.conf.

The problem is that the samba port (to be more exact, the
ports/devel/popt port) does not honor the WITHOUT_NLS option.

> some other port will pull in gettext anyway.

Up to this moment, I have managed to do without gettext :)
Some ports support WITHOUT_NLS, some (like samba) require slight
hacking to get rid of gettext.

I tried to teach ports/devel/popt to honor WITHOUT_NLS, it was not
successful, so I decided to teach the samba port to use the internal
popt in which I succeeded.

Why do you need the external popt in samba anyway?

--=20
Victor Sudakov,  VAS4-RIPE, VAS47-RIPN

--3MwIy2ne0vdjdPXF

--3MwIy2ne0vdjdPXF--