Date:      Sun, 01 Feb 1998 13:53:56 -0500 (EST)
From:      Jim Durham <durham@w2xo.pgh.pa.us>
To:        Luigi Rizzo <luigi@labinfo.iet.unipi.it>
Cc:        freebsd-multimedia@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: sound recording on FreeBSD 3.0.

On 01-Feb-98 Luigi Rizzo wrote:
>> However, at 44100 khz scan rate, small "ticks" appear in
>> when the sound level is fairly loud. These are almost
(snip)

> no idea either...

(snip)
> I think SB16 operation with my driver in 3.0 might be partially
> broken (it is not supposed to lock up the system, though!).
> I suggest to upgrade to my latest code at
>
>       http://www.iet.unipi.it/~luigi/FreeBSD.html

I'll try that...

I found the problem with the "tick". It is apparently a ground
loop between the SB16 and the mixer. A heavy ground wire from
the chassis of the mixer to one of the cabinet screws on the
computer fixed the problem. The shield ground of the cable from
the mixer to the sound card "line" input was not enough, nor the
ground pin of the AC plugs. I should have learned this by now
(I've done studio audio work for many years). Sometimes you get
sloppy when working at home!

Thanks and regards,

Jim Durham

Jim Durham