Date:      Sun, 4 Apr 2004 08:22:54 -0600
From:      "Teilhard Knight" <teilhk@softhome.net>
To:        "FreeBSD" <freebsd-questions@freebsd.org>, "Kent Stewart" <kstewart@owt.com>
Subject:   Re: Can't get KDE

> On Sunday 04 April 2004 06:49 am, Teilhard Knight wrote:
> > I have been doing my research, reading all pieces of information
> > which can help me. My problem is that I installed the NVIDIA driver
> > for my Leadtek WinFast GeForce3 with NVIDIA chipset. When I command
> > the machine "startx", I get the error message: "NVIDIA: chipset
> > "GeForce3 in device section "card0" isn't valid for this driver".
> > Now, I cannot even revert to the old "nv" driver because I get
> > another error. I have found the line "start nvidia" in an archive,
> > God knows where else there are configured files in my system. I'll
> > appreciate any help.
> >

> If you have locate turned on, do a "locate XF86Config".  There may be
> old versions lying around. X expects it in serveral places, I have mine
> in
>
> /usr/X11R6/lib/X11/XF86Config

Thank you for your answer. I have XF86Config in /etc/X11. I have fiddled
with the configuration file to no avail. First thing I did was to change the
driver "nvidia" for the one loaded by default ("nv"). I also set up the
modules as the file README. Linux (in the NVIDIA driver package) instructs,
and I haven't been successful. FAQ in the package do not address the
problem, let alone the Handbook.

Teilhard.