Date:      Mon, 5 Apr 1999 16:16:11 -0400 (EDT)
From:      Chuck Robey <chuckr@mat.net>
To:        Chuck Youse <cyouse@cybersites.com>
Cc:        hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: gdb 4.17

On Mon, 5 Apr 1999, Chuck Youse wrote:

> I'll have to put my vote in here too.  Please include alternative
> architecture support.  I ordered an eval NetWinder the other day,
> and will be launching a FreeBSD port shortly thereafter.  The "net
> appliance" wave is great -- the fact that Linux is really the only
> choice thus far is not so great.
>
> Can't wait to have a rack full of FreeBSD NetWinders ...

I hear this a lot, but it's a little hard to believe, then there's never
any code.  It's fine when it's your hobby, but you guys are asking
everyone to take in code, which you could very easily add yourselves on
your own hook.  I know it's fun, and I've got my own hobby things hidden
around here that haven't all gotten as far as I'd hoped, but I don't ask
everyone to pay the freight for them, either, so I feel justified.

I hate to be a part-pooper.  Is it not true that you can add, on your
own machine, all the bits you want for your projects on your own?  And,
also, that just the moment your project starts to show even the teeniest
bit of life, that *at that point* the code could be added to FreeBSD?

It's starting to seem that merely the vaguest wish that a FreeBSD port
might be nice, is enough to qualify for including all the support code.
I don't want to place the too high, but how about the possibility of
placing the bar just a small step higher?

Maybe you could suggest some rules on where to set the bar?  Something
you feel would be fair to you, fair to the FreeBSDers who don't want
FreeBSD to get too overweight, and also easy to quantify, so we avoid
arguments in the future.

> Chuck
>

> On Mon, 05 Apr 1999, Robert Swindells wrote:
> > Warner Losh wrote:
> > >In message <Pine.BSF.4.10.9903270752280.25868-100000@picnic.mat.net> Chuck Robey writes:
> > >: You know what you're doing, but I want to suggest that perhaps you want
> > >: to run that archs part past Warner, who recently (boy, I hope it was
> > >: Warner, I think it was) added the MIPS stuff into the tree, and is
> > >: pretty strongly in favor of making cross-compilation possible.
> >
> > >Yes.  I added support to our binutils to generate mips binaries.  I
> > >think that if other groups want their port in the tree, that should be
> > >the first step, with the second making egcs work for the port.  I hope
> > >to have that done in the next couple of weeks.  The only other two
> > >architectures that I think there'd be support for would be sparc and
> > >arm.
> >
> > I would vote for including sparc and arm as well.
> >
> > I'm getting a SparcStation next month and want to get either a
> > SA1100/SA1101 evaluation board or a Chaltech motherboard for
> > work.
> >
> > Robert Swindells

> > with "unsubscribe freebsd-hackers" in the body of the message
> --
> Chuck Youse
> Director of Systems
> cyouse@cybersites.com

213 Lakeside Drive Apt T-1  |
Greenbelt, MD 20770         | I run picnic (FreeBSD-current)
(301) 220-2114              | and jaunt (Solaris7).