Date:      Sat, 26 Jul 2014 17:54:02 -0400 (EDT)
From:      Rick Macklem <rmacklem@uoguelph.ca>
To:        Harald Schmalzbauer <h.schmalzbauer@omnilan.de>
Cc:        freebsd-stable <freebsd-stable@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: nfsd server cache flooded, try to increase nfsrc_floodlevel

Harald Schmalzbauer wrote:
> Bez=C3=BCglich Rick Macklem's Nachricht vom 25.07.2014 13:14 (localtime):
> > Harald Schmalzbauer wrote:
> >> Bez=C3=BCglich Rick Macklem's Nachricht vom 25.07.2014 02:14
> >> (localtime):

> >> IMHO such a setup shouldn't require manual tuning and I consider
> >> this
> >> as
> >> a really urgent problem!
> >> Whatever causes the server to lock up is strongly required to be
> >> fixed
> >> for next release,
> >> otherwise the shipped implementation of NFS is not really suitable
> >> for
> >> production environment and needs a warning message when enabled.
> >> The impact of this failure forces admins to change the operation
> >> system
> >> in order to get a core service back into operation.
> >> The importance is, that I don't suffer from weaker performance or
> >> lags/delays, but my server stops NFS completely and only a reboot
> >> solves
> >> this situation.
> >>
> > Btw, you can increase vfs.nfsd.tcphighwater on the fly when it
> > wedges
> > and avoid having to reboot.
> One suggestion: If raising vfs.nfsd.tcphighwater at runtime solves
> the
> locked nfsserver (which I thought I have tried, but I'm not sure any
> more), maybe the log message should reflect that. My first guess was
> look for a systcl named 'nfsrc_floodlevel'. If the log message makes
> more sense to contain nfsrc_floodlevel instead of tcphighwater, the
> latter should be metioned in the man page anyway.
>=20
Yes, I'll admit I had intended to do that, but it slipped through the
cracks. I will also try and make sure that bumping it up will allow the
server to get working again without a reboot.

> If the problem is solvable without rebooting, it's a cosmetic problem
> IMHO, not that serious show stopper I considered at first.
> Evereything
> but a reboot is fine ;-)
>=20
I would like to come up with a way to tune this based on server size
(RAM + 32 vs 64bit arch or similar), but it may take a while to gather
enough knowledge to do so.

rick