Date:      	Fri, 16 Jun 1995 15:42:52 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Tom Samplonius <tom@uniserve.com>
To:        Marty Leisner <leisner@sdsp.mc.xerox.com>
Cc:        hackers@FreeBSD.Org
Subject:   Re: bringing up freebsd

On Fri, 16 Jun 1995, Marty Leisner wrote:

> I finally got freebsd 2.0 booting off a hard disk (I had
> to arrange it on the first disk, instead of the second disk).

  Shouldn't this be in "freebsd-questions"?

> On the freebsd machine, I have a Sony CD-ROM drive and an NE-2000
> board...
>
> Another machine is running Linux and is nfs'd.
>
> A few questions:
> 	1) should I start off with the 2.05 kernel?
> 	Can I run the 2.0 release binaries with the 2.05 kernel
> 	(I have the November infomagic cd-rom).

  2.0R binaries will not work with 2.0.5R kernel.

> Sun needs swap space >= physical ram.  Does free bsd also have
> this problem?  (Linux uses swap space just as incremental over ram).

  No

> When I tried to network, it wanted th NE2000 at 0x280.
> I have it mapped elsewhere...how do I get past the defaults?

  2.0R -> Recompile kernel
  2.0.5R -> boot with -c and change it

> Is there any documentation for the boot program?
>
> The basic bindist says it needs 40 mbytes.  Isn't it possible
> to run a minimal system for starters (with about 20 mbytes?)

  2.0R needed space for extraction.

> I have a freebsd partition of about 80 Mbyte -- how should I arrange
> it (I have 16 Mbyte of ram, do I need any swap?)

  Are you going to run X or do software builds?  If so, you will probably
want swap.

> Also, what's involved to cross-compile on linux for freebsd?

  Don't know.  Read docs for gcc would be a start.  Would probably have
to re-build gcc on Linux from scratch, plus pull over all sorts of bits
from FreeBSD.  Probably be very difficult.