Date:      Wed, 3 Oct 2001 01:20:42 +0000
From:      Marco Wertejuk <wertejuk@mwcis.com>
To:        freebsd-mobile@freebsd.org
Subject:   thinkpad issues

Hello,

I've just noticed an interesting thing with sound on my
Thinkpad A22m (2628SSG) and according to this I want
to talk about the other problems ;).

First, sound works nice with 4.4-stable but still not perfect.
The Soundcard is detected as follows:
csa0: <CS4280/CS4614/CS4622/CS4624/CS4630> mem 0xf0000000-0xf00fffff,0xf0122000-0xf0122fff irq 11 at device 5.0 on pci0
csa: card is Thinkpad 600X/A20/T20
pcm0: <CS461x PCM Audio> on csa0
cat /dev/sndstat :
FreeBSD Audio Driver (newpcm) Oct  3 2001 00:18:55
Installed devices:
pcm0: <CS461x PCM Audio> at irq 11 (1p/1r/0v channels duplex)

If I put the system into suspend mode either by closing
the lid or by using apm -z, the soundcard does not work
after resuming with following reason:
pcm0: play interrupt timeout, channel dead

So I've compiled a new kernel with pcm as module and
the same happens but now I can unload both snd_pcm and
snd_csa modules and after loading them again the
soundcard works fine (until next suspend).

Maybe this might be fixed easily, does not seem to
be that difficult.

fyi, the dmesg reports on apm and my kernel entry for apm:
apm0: <APM BIOS> on motherboard
apm: found APM BIOS v1.2, connected at v1.2
device          apm0    at nexus? flags 0x20

Something else, much more difficult:
If I return from suspend which originated from console,
the screen recovers correctly and I can switch to X
and so on. But if I return from suspend which originated
from X, the system will end up with a graphic mess (in X)
and any system output won't be correct anymore, just a mess
(like random colored pixels/content).
A workaround I've found for this is enabling a BIOS password
which will be requested before a resume from suspend will be
completed. Again if suspend originated from X, the screen
which asks for the password will be distorted but after this
X works fine (you have to type the password without getting
visual feedback). If suspended from console, this pw-request
screen looks correct and console works correctly.

The last problem which might be less freebsd dependant
is also about X. If some larger parts of the screen
are scrolling, I get short horizontal white stripes
flickering up on the screen (also outside the scrolling
region). The stripes are always white and are just visible
a short time and seems to be completely program independant
(maybe an X problem).
I'm using XFree86 Version 4.1.0 / X Window System
with pci1: <ATI mofel 4c46 graphics accelerator> at 0.0 irq 11
X reports: (--) Chipset ATI Rage 128 Mobility LF (AGP) found
(II) Module r128: vendor="The XFree86 Project"
        Module class: XFree86 Video Driver
        ABI class: XFree86 Video Driver, version 0.4

If you want more details, just let me know.

Regards,
Marco

--
Mit freundlichen Gruessen,