Date:      Fri, 13 Feb 1998 11:15:17 -0800 (PST)
From:      Curt Sampson <cjs@portal.ca>
To:        =?ISO-8859-1?Q?S=F8ren_Schmidt?= <sos@FreeBSD.ORG>
Cc:        Mike Smith <mike@smith.net.au>, koshy@india.hp.com, freebsd-hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: General policy on trademark violations

On Fri, 13 Feb 1998, Søren Schmidt wrote:

> I think the requests so far has been outright stupid, those games has
> been in the *BSD tree for years, why are they suddenly so important ?

Probably because the trademark owners just discovered the violation.

> This is just some lawyers trying to make $$, when it gets clear to
> them that there is NONE, they will find other things to persue
> pretty quickly.

You don't appear to have any understanding of trademark law
whatsoever. Money is not the issue here. If a trademark owner
discovers someone wrongly using his trademark and he does not take
action to stop it, he risks loosing the trademark. Thus, a trademark
owner is basically obliged to ask misusers to desist, and even sue
them if they refuse.

If you don't like this state of things, you should be trying to
change US trademark law, not blaming the trademark owner, who is
simply doing what trademark law insists that he do.

cjs

Curt Sampson    cjs@portal.ca	   Info at http://www.portal.ca/
Internet Portal Services, Inc.	   Through infinite mist, software reverberates