Date:      Wed, 25 Jul 2001 15:42:47 +0100
From:      Pete French <pfrench@firstcallgroup.co.uk>
To:        stable@freebsd.org
Subject:   Telnet problem from Windows to stable from July 18th

Has anybody seen (or has any explation for) this ?!

I have a user whos login .profile consists of the line:

exec bin/test.sh

The script "test.sh" looks like this:

#!/bin/sh
echo Choose file 1 or file 2
n=`echo ${n}`
FILE_NAME=""
while test "${FILE_NAME}" = ""
do
        FILE_NO=0
        echo -n "Choice: "
        read n
        if test "${n}" = "1"
        then
                FILE_NAME=file1.txt
        fi
        if test "${n}" = "2"
        then
                FILE_NAME=file2.txt
        fi
        if test "${FILE_NAME}" = ""
        then
                echo ${n} is not a valid choice - please choose again
        fi
done
echo Chosen '"'${FILE_NAME}'"'
sleep 1
exit

(its a similfiled version of the real script- but this demonstartes
the problem simply enough)

The idea is that the uuser logs in and is presented with the menu from
the script. They then choose 1 or 2 to select a file. This has been working
for some time now, and I had almost forgotten it existed until the last
upgrade to track -stable.

What now happens is that if someone telnets to the box (from any
windows telnet client - not just the standard telnet) and logs in
then are presented with a continually scrolling screen of

Choice: is not a valid choice - please choose again
Choice: is not a valid choice - please choose again
Choice: is not a valid choice - please choose again
Choice: is not a valid choice - please choose again

etc...

as if the read from the inoput was always getting a blank string. This
has only just started happeing, and it only happens with windows telnet
clients.

Interestingly, if I alter the .profile to

bin/test.sh
exit

then the script functions fine. Does anyone have any ideas ? As both
the standartd windows telnet and the commercial terminal application
"reflections" behave the same then I amwondering if the problem is some
incompatibility with the windows tcp/ip stack maybe ?

I;d apperciate it if someone elsecould verify that it does the same on their
machine too...

cheers,

-pcf.