Date:      Fri, 13 Feb 1998 16:41:19 -0800 (PST)
From:      Jason Evans <jasone@canonware.com>
To:        Josh Pincus <Josh.Pincus@ibm.net>
Cc:        freebsd-sparc@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: dead list

On Fri, 13 Feb 1998, Josh Pincus wrote:
> As far as things going really slowly, I would be very interested in
> assisting this effort.  I am a novice (i've never ported an OS from one
> platform to another), but I would like to learn and, in turn, help.

Any help is welcome.  This is a tough project though even for someone who
knows the kernel well.

Things are going slowly right now (from my end) mainly because I was
assigned to work on a high-priority, short-term project at work, which
leaves me almost no time to work on FreeBSD.  If all goes well, there
won't be many similar distractions.  The project should be more or less
complete in about 3 weeks.  We'll see how it goes.

> Could someone point me in the right direction, perhaps towards some good
> publications, that would give me some of the background I need to make a
> contribution here?

There are two good sources of info about the kernel: the kernel source and
"The Design and Implementation of the BSD 4.4 Operating System", by
McKusick, et al.  See:

http://www.freebsd.org/handbook/handbook306.html#649

for a more complete list of useful books.

Jason

Jason Evans
Email: [jasone@canonware.com]
Home phone: [(650) 856-8204]
Work phone: [(408) 774-8007]
Quote: ["Invention is 1% inspiration, 99% perspiration" - Thomas Edison]