Date:      Fri, 31 May 2002 14:32:08 -0400
From:      "Louis A. Mamakos" <louie@TransSys.COM>
To:        bmah@FreeBSD.ORG
Cc:        freebsd-qa@FreeBSD.ORG, freebsd-stable@FreeBSD.ORG, re@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: 4.6-RELEASE delayed

Just some feedback, perhaps for release notes regarding the new
dhclient DHCP client program.   I've been using FreeBSD 4-STABLE
in an embedded system environment (Soekris net4501) where the system
boots and runs a stripped down FreeBSD installation from a
Compact Flash card.  I had a dhclient-related problem when upgrading
to a version with the new dhclient.

If the dhclient-script exits  abnormally, then the dhclient
program again attempts to acquire an address from the DHCP server.
In my environment, the root file system is mounted read-only, and
the dhclient-script shell script fails when it attempts to update
/etc/resolv.conf with the name servers and default domain returned
from the DHCP server.  The system would pause indefinately during boot
repeatedly trying to get an IP address, and then failing to update
the read-only /etc/resolv.conf file.  It also leaves a route for
each address it acquired on the loopback interface which is not
removed when the next attempt is made.

You can't configure the "update /etc/resolv.conf" behavior, so I had
to manually edit the /sbin/dhclient-script to resolve this issue.

The older version of /sbin/dhclient ignored the error when trying
to update /etc/resolv.conf.

Louis Mamakos