Date:      1 Jul 1996 09:18:28 +0100
From:      mark@plato.ucsalf.ac.uk (Mark Powell)
To:        freebsd-chat@freebsd.org
Subject:   Root filesystem on NFS, Linux style ???

Hi,
  Linux allows a kernel to be booted from DOS and then perform it's own RARP
to find it's IP and root filesystem over NFS. FreeBSD only seems to allow this
with the netboot.(com|rom) program (albeit using BOOTP.) We use this here to
allow users to turn their PC into an X terminal be selecting an option from
our DOS menu system. We currently do it with Linux. However, I'd prefer to
do it with FreeBSD, for obvious reasons. NETNOOT.COM does not work
if there is already a network driver loaded, as there is in our case.
Is there anything afoot allow the kernel to be configured with some of
the netboot.com functionality into the kernel?
--
Mark Powell - Senior Network Technician - Room: C806
Computer Services Unit, University College Salford, Salford, UK.