Date:      Thu, 13 Jun 2013 06:32:41 -0500
From:      "Mark Felder" <feld@feld.me>
To:        "freebsd-performance@freebsd.org" <freebsd-performance@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: Scaling and performance issues with FreeBSD 9 (& 10) on 4 socket systems

On Wed, 12 Jun 2013 17:58:49 -0500, David O'Brien <obrien@freebsd.org>
wrote:

> We found FreeBSD 8.4 to perform better than FreeBSD 9.1, and Linux
> considerably better than both on the same machine.

http://svnweb.freebsd.org/base?view=revision&revision=241246

The above link is likely why 8.4 is better than 9.1 on the same machine.

> We've tried various things and haven't been able to explain why FreeBSD
> isn't scaling on the new hardware.  Nor why it performs so much worse
> than FreeBSD on the older "M2" machines.

The CPUs between those machines are quite different. I'm sure we're
looking at different cache sizes, different behavior for the
hyperthreading, etc. I'm sure others would be greatly interested in you
providing the same benchmark results for a recent snapshot of HEAD as well.