Date:      Thu, 27 Jun 96 14:47:27 -0400
From:      Kevin Swanson <Kevin_Swanson@BLaCKSMITH.com>
To:        freebsd-hardware@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   muliport boards - building a PPP dialup server

I am looking into building a dialup server running freebsd 2.1, that will allow users ppp access into an ethernet network of unix machines.

The server has the following configuration:

	L-486 Series System Board
	33 MHz Intel 486DX2 CPU
	15 MB RAM
	2 full size EISA slots, 1 half-size ISA
	Onboard IDE controller
	Internal IDE Drive - Western Digital AC31600 (1549.4 MB)
	Intel EtherExpress 16 ISA Card

The modems I plan to use are US Robotics v.34 modems with v.32 bis.

I want to add an ISA multiport serial card to this server and hang up to 8 serial devices from it. Can you buy a multiport card that has different speed limits on each port? For example, I'd like to have maybe four high-speed connections up to 115.2KBps for user connections, two ports that go to 57.6 KBps max and 2 ports that are only 9600 baud.

Basically, I'm going to be hanging some serial devices from this that I don't need a fast connection for. If I want some ports to go up to 115.2, do they all have to? I'm looking to save some money if possible.

I've seen that some people have have used Digi PC/8 boards for this type of thing? Digi also has "intelligent" models (PC/Xe, PC/Xr, PC/Xem) that have a front-end processor and don't require an interrupt on the computer? Has anybody gotten these "intelligent" boards to work with freebsd 2.1?

Any suggestions on what board to go with would be appreciated. I'm not just interested in Digi. I'm looking for basically any board that can go high-speed and work with freebsd 2.1.

Kevin Swanson

Kevin_Swanson@BLaCKSMITH.com