Date:      Sat, 3 Jan 2004 17:31:52 +0100 (MET)
From:      "Karl Juchen" <karl.juchen@gmx.de>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   ppp idle timer

Hello!

I'm using FreeBSD 4.9 and I want to set up an internet link using pppoe and
dial on demand. On principle it works, but I've a problem with the idle
timer
and packet filtering: I want that outgoing icmp (destination unreachable)
and
tcp (fin/rst) packages do not change the idle timer.
Relevant parts of my configuration:

set timeout 120

set filter out 0 permit 0/0 0/0 icmp src eq 3 timeout X
set filter out 1 permit 0/0 0/0 tcp finrst timeout X
set filter out 2 permit 0/0 0/0

The man page ppp(8) says:
The timeout value adjusts the current idle timeout to at least
secs seconds.  If a timeout is given in the alive filter as well
as in the in/out filter, the in/out value is used.  If no time-
out is given, the default timeout (set using set timeout and
defaulting to 180 seconds) is used.

So, if I understand it correctly, my configuration with X replaced by 0
should do it,
but it does not: the rules have no effect at all.
When replacing X by a number of seconds > 0 it works in a way but the
behaviour
is not, what I would have expected: a maching rule sets timeout to exactly
X,
even if X is less than the old timeout value, while I interpreted the man
page:
increase the timeout if necessary (i.e. if X > current timeout).

So what am I doing wrong, how can I achieve the wanted behaviour?

Regards,
Karl