Date:      Sat, 16 Mar 1996 16:07:37 +0000 (GMT)
From:      Doug Rabson <dfr@render.com>
To:        John Polstra <jdp@polstra.com>
Cc:        JULIAN Elischer <julian@ref.tfs.com>, freebsd-current@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Elfkit release 1.1 is now available

On Fri, 15 Mar 1996, John Polstra wrote:

> Julian wrote:
>
> >...>
> > Is there a possibility of mixed a.out and elf libraries for Static
> > linking? or is that impossible?
>
> You mean, a single library that contains both a.out and ELF object
> modules in it?  I'm not going to say it's impossible -- but why would
> you want it?

More useful would be a dynamic linker which understood both a.out and ELF
shared libraries.  With the right linker, one could then link an ELF
program with an a.out shared library (which you might not have source
for, e.g. Motif).  I can't see that this would be too hard given that
both a.out and ELF use compatible PIC implementations.

Hang on a minute.  Are the PIC implementations compatible?  If not, why
not and can we fix it?

--
Doug Rabson, Microsoft RenderMorphics Ltd.	Mail:  dfr@render.com
						Phone: +44 171 251 4411