Date:      Fri, 7 Apr 2000 10:28:19 -0700
From:      Tim Pozar <pozar@lns.com>
To:        Roger Hardiman <roger@cs.strath.ac.uk>
Cc:        Bryan Collins <bryan@casper.spirit.net.au>, multimedia@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Remote FM Radio

On Fri, Apr 07, 2000 at 11:10:40AM +0100, Roger Hardiman wrote:
> Reading from /dev/audio get audio at a rather low 8Khz rate
> and mono too, from whatever the 'record' source is set to.
> You can check that with 'mixer' or 'xmixer'
>
> You can set the tuner on Bt878 cards with just 1 ioctl
> command.
> Take a look at the guts of programs like xmradio
> for an example.
> It tells you want to do somewhere on my
> web site too.
> www.telepresence.strath.ac.uk/bt848
>
> somewhere there is an API document.

I have written a command line program that will open /dev/dsp at
the sample rate and mode you want and shove the pcm audio out
stdout.  I also have written another small command-line program
that will set the FM tuner card to the frequency and modes you
want.  You can get the former at:

http://www.lns.com/papers/catdsp/

and I haven't made a web page for the later.  I can mail it to
folks if they wish.

Tim
--
  Snail: Tim Pozar / LNS / 1978 45th Ave / San Francisco CA 94116 / USA
               POTS: +1 415 665 3790  Radio: KC6GNJ / KAE6247