Date:      Sun, 29 Nov 1998 12:04:30 -0800
From:      Andrew <andrew@violet.org>
To:        David Bein <bein@pyramid.com>
Cc:        questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Freebsd and Solaris 2.x on x86 platforms ...

On Sun, Nov 29, 1998 at 03:51:59AM -0500, David Bein wrote:

>   Has anyone out there ever succeeded in sharing a single disk
> (using the FDISK facility) with Solaris on one partition and
> FreeBSD on the other? If so, I'd like to hear from you. Also,
> the same question, but instead substitute NT 4.0 for Solaris
> 2.x on x86.

David,

Yes, this is actually very easy...  I actually used the
FreeBSD `fdisk' to cut my 4.3gb disk in half, installed
Solaris 2.6 on the second half, then installed FreeBSD
3.0 on the first half.  Since both OS's like to install
a boot manager... I installed `booteasy' attempting to
overwrite the Solaris boot manager, but it seems (i
could be wrong) that the Solaris boot manager resides
within the Solaris partition!@#$ because after booteasy
decides that I want to boot from `Linux swap' (i.e.
Solaris 2.6) I am suddenly transported into the Solaris
boot manager... anyway... the short story is that the
two OS's coexist quite nicely, however cannot read each
others filesystems...

Cordially,