Date:      Mon, 12 Mar 2001 00:48:33 -0600
From:      Mike Meyer <mwm@mired.org>
To:        Brett Glass <brett@lariat.org>
Cc:        Rahul Siddharthan <rsidd@physics.iisc.ernet.in>, "Victor R. Cardona" <vcardona@home.com>, freebsd-chat@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Stallman stalls again
References:  <4.3.2.7.2.20010311193801.0441d3c0@localhost> <4.3.2.7.2.20010306122244.04477f00@localhost> <20010305200017.D80474@lpt.ens.fr> <4.3.2.7.2.20010305123951.04604b20@localhost> <20010305205030.G80474@lpt.ens.fr> <4.3.2.7.2.20010305125259.00cfdae0@localhost> <20010305142108.A17269@marx.marvic.chum> <4.3.2.7.2.20010306011342.045fb360@localhost> <20010306081025.A22143@marx.marvic.chum> <4.3.2.7.2.20010306092612.00b79f00@localhost> <20010306174618.N32515@lpt.ens.fr> <4.3.2.7.2.20010311230800.00e19bd0@localhost>

Brett Glass <brett@lariat.org> types:
> At 11:06 PM 3/11/2001, Mike Meyer wrote:
> >Not throwing out the baby with the bath water is only useful if you
> >know what the baby is.
> The "baby" is the concept of copyright.

If you believe that, then you've already made up your mind, and
discussing the issue is pointless. Creators publishing is the
baby. Copyright is merely the mechanism to encourage that.

> >The reason the monopoly exists is to encourage
> >creators to publish, yet still allow them to be compensated for their
> >work. The "baby" isn't copyright per se - it's compensating creators
> >to encourage them to publish.
> Nope. Copyright isn't compensation in and of itself. It merely gives
> the author the right to demand compensation IF people use it. If his
> work is not appealing or valuable, and no one uses it, he gets
> nothing.

Right. Copyright *allows* the author to be compensated. It isn't the
compensation. Nor does it allow the author to demand compensation for
mere use. I use all the books I check out from the library, but
neither the author nor the publisher gets more compensation for my use
- though publishers are trying to change that.

Any mechanism that allows the author to be compensated if they publish
will serve the same purpose. If you want, read "make available for the
public to use" for "publish"; it amounts to the same thing. If the
public can't get to the work, there's no way they can do something
that copyright allows the author to demand compensation for. If the
public can get to the work - well, one definition of publish is "to
disseminate to the public".

> >Note that *publishing* is the critical issue here. It's clearly
> >possible to make money creating things without copyright laws, as
> >performers and programmers do so on a regular basis. Some even make a
> >living doing that way. However, those people either don't publish, or
> >don't expect to make money publishing.
> Copyright applies to far more than just publishing. For example, it
> also applies to public performance for profit, etc.

This is a bit vague. A public performance itself isn't
copyrightable. A recording of it is. As in other cases, copyright
encourages the publication of those by allowing the creators to be
compensated. Likewise, *making* a public performance is an act covered
by copyright. As such, it can be treated as another aspect of
publication. Creating the recording is an interesting case, but
historically can be either allowed or not by the performers.

> >I have no idea what might replace copyright, and I'm sure that any
> >such change will cause economic dislocation - probably of a serious
> >nature. The existence of computers has been doing that since they
> >became commercially available, including the shameful way publishers
> >are attempting to destroy fair use.
> I think that unbridled theft of copyrighted material is shameful too.

So do I. It's clearly illegal and immoral. However, it is *not*
causing a major economic dislocation, wherease the publishers mucking
with fair use and related rights is threatening an entire profession.

> As I said near the beginning of this thread, we need to broker a new
> peace -- not instigate or escalate a war.

I agree. In particular, I think that the public would be better served
by a peace that used some other mechanism to allow artists to be
compensated for publishing. Hopefully, artists would be at least as
well off as they are now. Those who only publish without creating may
well lose out - but the internet has made what they contribute so
cheap and easy that anyone can do it.

	<mike