Date:      Fri, 13 Jul 2012 18:42:18 +0000 (UTC)
From:      jb <jb.1234abcd@gmail.com>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Is there a way to run FreeBSD ports through port 80?

Kaya Saman <kayasaman <at> gmail.com> writes:

> Hi,
>
> I am trying to introduce FreeBSD into my office and it's been looked
> at with quite a bit of enthusiasm however, what makes it look bad is
> our companies 'security' policy to block FTP.
>
> At present they are running a whole bunch of CentOS based boxes and
> VM's which of course can be run through port 80 when using YUM.
>
> How does one get round this issue as my superiors are telling me that
> opening up FTP is a security risk and therefor don't want to proceed?
>
> I would like to use ports specifically and not the pkg_add tool to get
> software.
>
> Can anyone sugget anything?
>
> Regards,
>
> Kaya

Hi,

> We simply have it [ed: FTP] banned on a Juniper firewall. So http is being
> proxied by a web appliance but that's it... nothing else.
> Yep. It's up to your proxy server whether it's going to handle FTP or only
> HTTP (and/or HTTPS).
> We have an 'appliance' based proxy and as company policy FTP should be
> restricted, ie. not active on this as it's a security risk.

Regardless of whether your corporate proxy can not handle FTP by its limited
capability or by company's policy, there is a solution called "proxy
chaining".

http://www.freeproxy.ru/en/free_proxy/faq/index.htm

How to bypass corporate proxy?

What is HTTP proxy server?
  ... HTTP Proxy Chaining

What is proxy chaining (proxy to proxy)?

FTP through a proxy server: problems and solutions

jb