Date:      Sat, 1 Jan 2011 14:42:14 +0000
From:      David Southwell <david@vizion2000.net>
To:        Robert Huff <roberthuff@rcn.com>
Cc:        freebsd-ports@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: portupgrade -f advice please

> David Southwell writes:
> >  A bit puzzled
> >
> >  I have a problem with apache22 loading and decided before doing
> >  anything else that I would upgrade apache22 recursively to
> >  rebuild all ports upon which it depened and which depend upon
> >  apache.
> >
> >  The (to me) logical command was:
> >
> >  dns1# portupgrade -frR apache22
> >
> >  Which generated the following:
> >  [Exclude up-to-date packages  done]
> >
> >  Man portupgrade shows:
> >   -f
> >
> >       --force                Force the upgrade of a package even if it is
> >       to be
> >
> >                              a downgrade or just a reinstall of the same
> >                              ver- sion, or the port is held by user
> >                              using the HOLD_PKGS variable in
> >                              pkgtools.conf.
> >
> >  I do not want to exclude packages that appear to be
> >  up-to-date. Where is this limitation on force set?
>
> 	Assuming the reoirt if generated output is verbatim, I beleive
> this is behaving as you desire.  Usually the "Excluding up-to-date
> packages" line includes what I believe is one dot per package so
> excluded.
> 	I would argue a better notification would be something like:
>
> 	'R' and 'f' options specifed - skipping up-to-date dependency checks.
>

> 					Robert Huff
No I am wanting to force an upgrade to all packages irrespective as to whether
they are up to date.

What is happening is that no packages are being upgraded!

The only response I am getting is for portupgrade to skip the upgrade of all
packages on the grounds they are "up to date".

man portupgrade says -f forces the upgrade of the packages EVEN IF it is a
reinstall of the same version. I want all the nominated ports and all the
ports affected by -rR to be forced to upgrade.

David

Photographic Artist
Permanent Installations & Design
Creative Imagery and Advanced Digital Techniques
High Dynamic Range Photography & Official Portraiture
Combined darkroom & digital creations
& Systems Adminstrator for the vizion2000.net network