Date:      Tue, 29 Aug 2000 11:25:50 +1100
From:      Nick Slager <nicks@albury.net.au>
To:        Greg Lehey <grog@lemis.com>
Cc:        Hugh LaMaster <lamaster@nren.nasa.gov>, FreeBSD Questions <questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: Disk partitioning on laptops (was: Making boot floppies (was: BSD Powerpak 4.0))

Thus spake Greg Lehey (grog@lemis.com):

> On Monday, 28 August 2000 at  9:47:52 -0700, Hugh LaMaster wrote:
> >
> > Just an aside: for some reason, I haven't been able to use the
> > bootfloppy sysinstall partition label program to label (let alone newfs)
> > a Dell Inspiron 3500 laptop that I have.  It has a 6 GB drive;
> > the first 3 GB is a FAT32 partition.  I have tried repeatedly
> > to label/newfs the next partition, which is most of the next 3 GB,
> > with a FreeBSD partition, to no avail.  I assume that it is a BIOS
> > problem.  I've never had this problem before, but then, I never
> > tried to use FreeBSD on a laptop before.  Is there a known problem
> > with the Inspiron 3500?  I userstand that I will also have a problem
> > with the PCMCIA card controller/cards/IRQ's later; I just wish that
> > I could get to that point and experience those problems.
>
> I haven't heard of this before.  I have an Inspiron 7500 myself, and I
> had no trouble installing FreeBSD on it, though there are some

This is strange. I use a 3500 here with a 4.8Gb drive. The first 1.5Gb
is a FAT32 partition, the rest being FreeBSD. I've had no disklabel
problems whatsoever. A colleague uses a 7000 with a ~10Gb drive with 4
operating systems and no problems, also.

You shouldn't have problems with the PCMCIA controller, either; it's
worked fine for me since at least 3.2-RELEASE.

Nick.