Date:      Sun, 10 Aug 1997 10:43:31 -0700
From:      "Jordan K. Hubbard" <jkh@time.cdrom.com>
To:        Brandon Gillespie <brandon@roguetrader.com>
Cc:        freebsd-hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: why bother submitting anything (via send-pr)

> Basically, what i'm wondering (as a disgruntled person wanting to help but
> seeming to be ignored) is why isn't there somebody simply responsible for
> non-developer submissions?  So far it seems that the way things work
> around here is if a developer takes interest in it, it'll move forward,
> otherwise too bad, mebbe one of the other *BSD systems will like it.

There are two issues here:

1. We lost our GNATs admin, Mike Pritchard, and we've not yet found
   someone to do what he used to do - periodically audit the PR database
   and prod the appropriate people whenever it looks like something is
   being inadvertantly ignored.

2. Conventional wisdom has always been that rather than hope that
   someone will just automatically pick up something you've submitted
   via send-pr, after a reasonable interval (~2 weeks) it's perfectly
   acceptable to send a message to committers@freebsd.org and say
   "Yo!  Anyone among the 97 of you there interested in picking this
   up?  Please?"  I've actually _yet_ to see this level of escallation
   fail, so I can't tell you what the next logical step would be. ;-)

The nice thing about Mike was that he essentially did the #2 step on
your behalf.  Sure wish we could find someone else like him. :-(

					Jordan