Date:      Sun, 30 Sep 2001 18:52:12 +0100
From:      Ian Dowse <iedowse@maths.tcd.ie>
To:        Cy Schubert - ITSD Open Systems Group <Cy.Schubert@uumail.gov.bc.ca>
Cc:        Mike Harding <mvh@ix.netcom.com>, admin@rshb.com.ru, stable@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: dirpref gives massive performance boost

In message <200109301651.f8UGpFs02421@cwsys.cwsent.com>, Cy Schubert - ITSD Ope
n Systems Group writes:
>In message <20010930162030.10A5B133C1@netcom1.netcom.com>, Mike Harding
>writes:
>> So it sounds like there would be some benefit in tar'ing and untarring
>> /usr/local, /usr/ports, /usr/src, etc. which will be less
>> disruptive...
>
>At work, I don't have the luxury of doing a wholesale conversion as all
>the machines have one disk and most have only one partition.  I've been
>toying with the idea of duplicating up /bin for example to /bin.new,

It is on directory hierarchies such as /usr/ports and /usr/src
where there are a large number of "associated" directories that
the biggest performance improvements are to be made. This is
especially true when the hierarchy takes up only a small proportion
of the whole partition.

Before the dirpref changes, files were generally allocated physically
close to their parent directory, but directories were spread out
randomly across the filesystem. The dirpref changes make it much
more likely for directories to be located close to their parent
directory too. For /usr/ports, this is a huge win - before these
changes, a port's main directory and its 'files' subdirectory were
located on average a third of the filesystem size away from each
other (I think). Now they are likely to be just a few blocks away,
maybe even waiting in the disk's cache.

Since these improvements are all about the placing of subdirectories,
there isn't much point in re-creating flat directories such as
/bin, /usr/bin etc. For /usr/local, it might only be worthwhile
re-creating some application directories that have a huge number
of subdirectories. However, a system with a large number of user
home directories might see a big improvement if /home was rebuilt,
because all of a user's files would end up much closer together
on the disk.

Ian