Date:      Tue, 20 May 2003 13:16:58 +0200 (CEST)
From:      "Julien Gabel" <julien.gabel@thilelli.net>
To:        aaron@alpete.com
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: squirrelmail

> i've used uw-imap (university of washington) in the past because it is
> so easy to configure and use.  just install and set inetd to run it and
> it uses your regular unix user account credentials...  haven't used it
> on freebsd though so i can't give you more specifics there...

Not too hard, especially "helped" by the ports collection.

>> I found and installed it from 4.7 under /usr/port/mail/squirrelmail
>>
>> I don't know about easy, so far the pretty logon page comes up so I
>> guess it's not so hard. My problem is with getting an IMAP server running
>> properly. If you have any hints to help me setup up squirrel mail if
> you get it up and going send them to me.

Ok, these are the steps i followed :

* Installation of the "imap-uw" port
====================================
%su -
# portinstall -R -m '-DWITH_SSL_AND_PLAINTEXT' imap-uw
# pkgdb -F
# grep -i imap /etc/inetd.conf
imap4   stream  tcp     nowait  root    /usr/local/libexec/imapd      imapd
imaps   stream  tcp     nowait  root    /usr/local/libexec/imapd      imapd
# grep -i inetd /etc/rc.conf
inetd_enable="YES"
inetd_flags="-wW -l -R 1024"

* Installation of the "apache+mod_ssl-1.3.27+2.8.14" port
%su -
# portinstall -R apache+mod_ssl-1.3.27+2.8.14
# pkgdb -F
/* Modify the configuration file:
   /usr/local/etc/apache/httpd.conf */
# cat /usr/local/etc/apache/httpd.conf
[snip]
NameVirtualHost *
[snip]
<VirtualHost *>
     ServerAdmin webmaster@domain.tld
     DocumentRoot /usr/local/squirrelmail
     ServerName webmail.domain.tld
     ErrorLog /var/log/webmail.domain.tld-error_log
     CustomLog /var/log/webmail.domain.tld-access_log common
</VirtualHost>
AddType application/x-httpd-php .php
[snip]

Hope this help,