Date:      Fri, 21 Apr 1995 00:07:17 -0700
From:      "Jordan K. Hubbard" <jkh@freefall.cdrom.com>
To:        terry@cs.weber.edu (Terry Lambert)
Cc:        gene@starkhome.cs.sunysb.edu (Gene Stark), hackers@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: Minutes of the Thursday, April 13th core team meeting in Berkeley.

> Let it be forever noted that 2.0 was an exception.  It was a rush job
> that was done to appease legal requirements and to keep the FreeBSD
> efforts afloat at the same time avoiding legal action by USL.  It
> had the nice side effect of resolving the legal issues for Walnut Creek
> at the same time, which can only be a good thing, given the backing
> they have provided.

May I take this moment to make a further point?  2.1 is also an
exception.  2.1 is a software project in the full throes of Second
System Syndrome, and thus can't really be considered a "normal"
release either.  Everyone, myself included, wants 2.1 to be "radically
better."  They want all the features that were glaringly missing in
2.0.  They want to "do it right this time".  If you've been a
developer all those years and for all those companies as you say, then
you KNOW exactly what's going on with the core team right now and you
also know that you're about as able to stop it as you are able to stop
the earth from rotating.  S^3 is a phase that all developers go
through with their pet projects (the ones that live past the first
release, anyway) and all the manager usually manages to do is hang on
and sort of steer, dashing in from time to time to make wholly
unreasonable demands regarding ship dates.  "He Doesn't Understand",
say the developers.  "It Must Be Better This Time."

I'm not ashamed to admit it.  We're doing all the classic things.
FreeBSD 2.2 will be a more sober release, a "we're not going to do
another 2.1 style one, that took too long!" sort of release.  2.3 will
be a "Hey, we're sort of starting to get the hang of this!"  sort of
release.

In other words (and I'm saying this to everyone, not just Terry): Just
relax and enjoy the ride.  We're going pretty well, all things
considered, and there are certain hoops we're just going to insist on
jumping through, no matter how much we may know about them in advance!
I've been watching this from the beginning, and I've seen many a good
suggestion (a few excellent ones, in fact) go by without even a
comment.  Groups like this seem to have high intrinsic latency
periods, and no matter how much you may force feed them with ideas or
other input, they adopt them at their own pace and in their own time.
There will be some frustration with our methods.  There will be many
people who think we're complete idiots for not doing it Their Way.
Still other people will grow very attached to certain ways we do
things only to be vastly dismayed when we change them.  I'm not saying
what sorts of things will happen and when, just that this is an
evolving process which we are, to some extent, making up as we go
along!

Have a little patience with us, and (again to everyone and not just
Terry) maybe try to send us a little less email so that we have time
to actually work on this stuff! :-)

[Seriously speaking, my email input load has become a crisis - I can't
go on this way!! :-( ]

						Jordan