Date:      Sat, 02 Feb 2008 11:05:00 +0800
From:      Erich Dollansky <oceanare@pacific.net.sg>
To:        jerry@syslog.org
Cc:        chat@freebsd.org, KAYVEN RIESE <kayve@sfsu.edu>
Subject:   Re: Microsoft buys Yahoo

Hi,

jerry@syslog.org wrote:
> Erich said:
>> I also wonder how Google earns so much monez with its search engine. Is
>> it just the adds? Is it reallz this simple?
>>
>> On the other side, Google must be so much better than other search
>> engines to get so much more hits to earn money with this free service
>> via the adds.
>>
>> The problem I see is how the search results are influenced bz the search
>> engine in use.
>>
>> Erich
>
> Google earns nearly all of it's money from advertisements.  Google has the
> defacto standard advertising platform on the Internet.  Most people do not
> understand how large the Internet economy based on AD revenue really is.
> Read a bit through http://forums.digitalpoint.com - it's enlightening and
> frightening.

I know.. So it is really just the advertisement money they are getting.

> Now, Google absolutely dominates the search market, with more than half of
> all searches.  I think part of the reason is the simplicity and strength

I was doing some ISP work when I have heard the name for the first time.
The result could not keep up with the other except for verz simple
things. So, I dumped it and continued to use Alta Vista, Yahoo and the
others. I can't even remember their names.

> that they entered the market and the current venacular - when you search
> for something or someone, you Google it or Google him.  You don't Yahoo

I have had the feeling they got a lot of Venture Capital those days
which helped them to coin their name.

> it.  The other part is the algorithm.  They have historically had the most
> relevant results for a term.  I would say that in many ways, both MS and
> Yahoo! give better results that google for most of the searches that I
> try.  I believe the major reason for that is that *everyone* and his
> grandmother is trying to game Google to get their splog to the top of the
> google rankings.

This helped them at the start as it gave them a good overview of what
people are doing. Keeping all those things in the database made them
actually access only 1% of the Internet but 99% of the users were happy
with the result.

Meanwhile, they are better in the searches I do. I have verz often at
least two search engines looking for the same thing to get verz rare
information.

Erich