Date:      Wed, 24 Sep 1997 16:07:10 +0930
From:      Greg Lehey <grog@lemis.com>
To:        Annelise Anderson <andrsn@andrsn.stanford.edu>
Cc:        FreeBSD Questions <questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: FreBSD Dialer

On Tue, Sep 23, 1997 at 11:26:56PM -0700, Annelise Anderson wrote:

> On Wed, 24 Sep 1997, Greg Lehey wrote:
>
>>> Hello, is there a TCP/IP dialer available for FreeBSD?
>>
>> No.  TCP and IP do not define dialing, so there is no such thing as a
>> TCP/IP dialer.  If you mean a dialup IP link, yes, there are several.
>> Look for the PPP and SLIP implementations.
>>
>> If this isn't what you're talking about, could you please explain what
>> you want to do?
>
> Maybe he just wants to dial the modem and then make a ppp or slip
> connection.

Yes, that could be.  That's a dialer, but not a TCP/IP dialer.

> Kermit (in the ports collection) will dial the modem.
> ppp uses a chat script to dial the modem (I think).
> cu also dials the modem
> the dip program, which creates a slip connection...actually I'm not
> sure how it dials the modem.

The best choice is probably chat(1), which does precisely what you
suggest he might be asking for.  chat's designed to be called by other
programs, such as Kernel PPP and SLIP, to perform their dialing for
them.  kermit's not such a good choice.

Greg