Date:      Sun, 01 Oct 2000 16:37:44 -0600
From:      Warner Losh <imp@village.org>
To:        Ken Bolingbroke <freebsd@bolingbroke.com>
Cc:        cjclark@alum.mit.edu, stable@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: No UPDATING for RELENG_3?

In message <Pine.BSF.4.21.0009301956540.25639-100000@fremont.bolingbroke.com> Ken Bolingbroke writes:
: I didn't do a binary upgrade, I cvsup'd RELENG_3_2_0.  The machine in
: question doesn't have either a CD or floppy drive, and it also only has
: 8 meg of RAM, all of which make binary upgrading a bit difficult.
: Otherwise, I'd have wiped the machine and installed 4.1.1 fresh.

Ah.  You might have a problem with not enough swap.

I've had excellent luck building on a "fast" machine and doing
multiple installs on remote machines.  make installworld -k is what I
normally do.  Why -k?  Because sometimes the *@(#%@!#$^$ libncurses
wants to regenerate symbolic links in /usr/obj :-(.

Warner