Date:      Fri, 17 Jan 1997 14:33:03 -0800 (PST)
From:      Ulf Zimmermann <ulf@Alameda.net>
To:        jmb@freefall.freebsd.org (Jonathan M. Bresler)
Cc:        questions@freefall.freebsd.org, hardware@freefall.freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: [Q] aah-2940uw, disk need low level format

> i have a dell dimension xps p90 with an aha-1540cp, (plug-n-pray
> disabled) seagate st32550n 2gb scsi disk.  no other drives or scsi
> devices attached.  works fine.  time to upgrade to a faster scsi
> controller.
>
> installed an aha-2940uw.  the machine hangs during boot immediately
> after printing the disk information.
>
> called adaptec support.  after changing a number of controller
> parameters on the aha-2940uw, each followed by a reboot.  adaptec
> says "you have to low level format".  they state that the geometry
> used by the aha-1540cp is not compatible with the aha-2940uw because
> the aha-1540cp runs the scsi bus at 5 MB/s async and the aha-2940uw
> want to run the scsi bus at 10 MB/s sync.
>
> this is the first time that i have heard such a recommendation.
> does this match anyone's experience?
>
> jmb
>
> --
> Jonathan M. Bresler           FreeBSD Postmaster             jmb@FreeBSD.ORG
> FreeBSD--4.4BSD Unix for PC clones, source included. http://www.freebsd.org/
> PGP 2.6.2 Fingerprint:      31 57 41 56 06 C1 40 13  C5 1C E3 E5 DC 62 0E FB

With "after printing the disk information" you mean the time, the Adaptec Bios
is getting installed ? At this point the geometry shouldn't matter and the
tip from Adaptec sounds like B.S. to me.

Ulf.

Ulf Zimmermann, 1525 Pacific Ave., Alameda, CA-94501, #: 510-769-2936
           Alameda Networks, Inc. | http://www.Alameda.net