Date:      Fri, 29 Jan 1999 04:48:04 -0800 (PST)
From:      asami@FreeBSD.ORG (Satoshi Asami)
To:        tlambert@primenet.com
Cc:        jonny@jonny.eng.br, julian@whistle.com, jonny@jonny.eng.br, stable@FreeBSD.ORG, hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: softupdates on /

 * From: Terry Lambert <tlambert@primenet.com>

 * One argument is that fsck needs to be able to tell how the thing
 * was last mounted, if it's going to do soft-updates specific
 * things, like not fixing up the cg free list before allowing the
 * mount.
 *
 * I personally don't really buy this argument, since it should be
 * possible to synchnously update a flag in the superblock when
 * switching states, the same way the clean flag gets updated.

Doesn't it already do something like that?  My 100GB partitions take
about 30 seconds while the "superblock [is] updated for softupdates",
I'd be surprised it can't even set a flag do indicate what it's
doing. :)

Satoshi