Date:      Tue, 22 Dec 2009 22:18:05 +0100
From:      Leslie Jensen <leslie@eskk.nu>
To:        Doug Barton <dougb@FreeBSD.org>
Cc:        freebsd-emulation@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: Loading kernel modules for virtualbox via script

On 2009-12-22 21:22, Doug Barton wrote:
> The appropriate way to do this is to add them to /boot/loader.conf,
> like this:
>
> vboxdrv_load="yes"
> vboxnetflt_load="yes"
> vboxnetadp_load="yes"
>
> You could also write a new-style rc.d script to do this fairly easily,
> see
> http://www.freebsd.org/doc/en_US.ISO8859-1/books/porters-handbook/rc-scripts.html
> for more information. There are also existing ports that use rc.d to
> load kernel modules, although none of the names come to mind off hand.
>

> Doug

Thanks for your answer.

I did test to load the modules as you suggest. They do load but
virtualbox produces an error when starting a virtual machine.

I found information in the forums suggesting that one could load the
modules via a script i /etc/rc.d/. But with 8.0 that did not work.

I've tried to load vboxdrv and vboxnetflt via loader.conf and then load
vboxnetadp manually before starting virtualbox. That also produces the
error when starting a VM.

So the vboxnetflt and vboxnetadp must be loaded in that order before one
starts virtualbox.

I was ok with the suggested script so when that didn't work I got stuck.

For now I load the modules manually with a script that also starts
virtualbox.

/Les