Date:      Wed, 8 Sep 2004 11:33:02 +0200
From:      Adriaan de Groot <groot@kde.org>
To:        freebsd-amd64@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: getting an amd64 system

On Wednesday 08 September 2004 00:17, Brooks Davis wrote:
> On Mon, Sep 06, 2004 at 07:55:35PM -0700, murrayp@sfu.ca wrote:
> > 2) I'm getting an Asus Radeon 9600XT 128MB AGP w/DVI for my video card.
> > Is this supported, or is this a big mistake?  If so, is there a
> > comparable video card that is supported?
>
> I'm not really up on video hardware support, but just about everything
> will work with X.  Accelleration may be another story.

Take a good look at xfree86.org or x.org and their hardware-support lists
before picking anything particular. I've heard varying reports about support
for newer Radeons (post 7000), in particular that acceleration is not
supported. (However, this was some time ago, who knows what has changed since
then).

> > 3) I am connecting to a wireless network.  Is WiFi supported in 5.2.1?
> > for any of the cards out there?  If not, is WiFi supported in FreeBSD,
> > period (ie: for any systems, including an i386, etc?)
>
> Many wireless devices are supported natively.  The rest are generally

"Many" is a relative word. If you consider the wifi stuff you can just buy at
computer stores in Europe, just about all the 802.11g stuff is ralink based
(PCI cards) or usb based, and neither of those are supported in 64-bit mode
at all.

--
As of September 1st, 2004, the University of Nijmegen will _still_ be the
University of Nijmegen, but with a different nonsensical adjective in front.