Date:      Wed, 10 Jul 1996 13:51:10 -0700 (MST)
From:      Terry Lambert <terry@lambert.org>
To:        wollman@lcs.mit.edu (Garrett Wollman)
Cc:        terry@lambert.org, questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: SysAdmin Tools - ideas wanted

> > Eventually, I expect command line utilities to be built similar to
> > the VMS mechanism, where you define a grammar, compile it, implement
> > callback routines, compile them, and then link the whole mess with
> > a library that has a main() in it that externally references the
> > compiled grammar as data.
>
> It's called `libss'.

Does this implicity support a "show schema" command verb subcommand for
communicating the compiled schema to the front end?

Does it flush stdout explicitly rather than implicitly to allow
pipe operation?

Does it have a front-end grammar-to-data compiler that will create
a schema as well as a command line to function mapping?

Does it support the concept of environment validation via callback
so that you can refuse to advance/accept invalid data for a given
UI input field without putting the validation into the UI itself?

If the answer is "no" for any of these (and I know it is), then it's
not a sufficient soloution.

					Terry Lambert
					terry@lambert.org
---