Date:      Thu, 3 May 2001 18:11:32 -0700
From:      Doug Hardie <bc979@lafn.org>
To:        Marius <marius@mail.communityconnect.com>
Cc:        Ramon A Hermon <rahermon@iastate.edu>, freebsd-stable@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Mem Use

At 18:23 -0400 5/3/01, Marius wrote:
>As stated before, the whole matter with memory usage is normal.  As seen
>in my output for top:
>
>>last pid: 83829;  load averages:  1.02,  1.03,  1.01   up 19+23:09:05
>18:17:08
>>70 processes:  4 running, 66 sleeping
>>CPU states: 14.7% user, 56.2% nice,  9.7% system,  0.0% interrupt, 19.4%
>idle
>>Mem: 109M Active, 138M Inact, 38M Wired, 2752K Cache, 48M Buf, 87M Free
>>Swap: 100M Total, 1224K Used, 99M Free, 1% Inuse
>*snip*

My systems look very much like this also.  Do note that there is 87
MB free and 1 MB that some time in the past got swapped out.
Whatever was swapped out never comes back to say regardless of the
available free space.  One of my systems started swapping for a short
time about 6 months ago.  I show constant swapin of that process all
the time through today even though there is over 50 MB of free space.
It would appear that some tuning of the swapin algorithm would be
helpful.
--
-- Doug