Date:      Tue, 30 Dec 2003 07:17:54 -0500
From:      "Mark A-J. Raught" <mraught@acm.org>
To:        Steve Sizemore <steve@ls.berkeley.edu>
Cc:        'FreeBSD mobile list' <freebsd-mobile@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: Linksys WMP11 WIFI PCI

Steve Sizemore wrote:
> On Sat, Dec 27, 2003 at 08:58:31PM -0500, Ben Dover wrote:
>
>>  Does anyone know if this PCI wireless network card can be utilized in
>>FreeBSD 4.9.  I can't find it in the supported hardware list but there is a
>>note that ISA cards are supported the same as the pccards.  Being that
>>Linksys makes a WPC11 I was hoping that the WMP11 was just a PCI version of
>>the pccard version and the driver would work.
>>  I have installed the WMP11 and put pccard_enable="YES" in rc.conf but the
>>card is not recognized.  Any help or suggestions would be appreciated.
>>

> While I can't answer the question directly, I can tell you that I've been
> struggling with this same card under 5.1 and 5.2-RC, and haven't found a
> solution. On a linux list, I found a note where someone said that LinkSys
> makes two very different cards, and calls both of them WMP11. (One is type
> 3 and one is type 4.) My guess is that only one of these is supported by
> FreeBSD (or linux, for that matter).
>
> Hopefully, someone on this list, or freebsd-mobile, where I'm copying this
> reply, will have a more authoritative answer.
>
> Steve

I have a PCI card matching this description in one of my FreeBSD boxes
right now. Unfortunately it doesn't appear to have any useful version
markings on it. Just a model number (WMP11), an FCC ID (PKW-WMP11), a
Canada ID (3839104537A331) and a serial number. The board itself has
"MW251-1 REV:XA" on it but I kind of doubt it has anything to do with
the rev of the actual card itself.

I have (blurry) pics (with my serial number greyed out) at
http://www.raught.net/wmp11/

I have this working with 4.8 stable and am currently upgrading the
machine to 4.9 stable. If you don't hear anything more, assume it works
fine. (I don't see why it would quit working between 4.8 and 4.9) If I
run into problems after upgrading I will post it to the lists.

Background: I've had this card since 05/2002. It doesn't need any pccard
stuff. It is detected with wi in the kernel. It is definitely a prism
chipset with dmesg info as follows:

wi0: <Intersil Prism2.5> mem 0xfe9ff000-0xfe9fffff irq 9 at device 17.0
on pci0
wi0: 802.11 address: xx:xx:xx:xx:xx:xx
wi0: using RF:PRISM2.5 MAC:ISL3874A(Mini-PCI)
wi0: Intersil Firmware: Primary 1.00.05, Station 1.03.04

Real MAC address shows in place of xx:xx:xx:xx:xx:xx, but I deleted for
security reasons.

If you want any other info from this card let me know.

-mark