Date:      Tue, 17 Oct 1995 23:10:03 -0600
From:      Warner Losh <imp@village.org>
To:        jdp@polstra.com (John Polstra)
Cc:        terry@lambert.org, freebsd-hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: getdtablesize() broken?

: > In addition, the select(2) call in BSD reserves the right to modify the
: > timeval structure to indicate the remaining time to allow the use of
: > the timeout as an even outcall mechanism for logical multithreading.
:
: Yes.  I wish more implementations of select actually did that.

As someone who ported an application that depended on select(2) not
doing that, I can tell you that only Linux will really change the
value of timeval in a select call.  If that is not correct, I'd like
to know who else does change it (rather than merely reserve the right
to change it).

Warner