Date:      Tue, 3 Jan 2017 15:34:24 -0600
From:      Xiaoye Sun <Xiaoye.Sun@rice.edu>
To:        FreeBSD Net <freebsd-net@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Way to let the host/nic ignore the NIC queue attached to netmap

Hi,

In my application, I take one pair of NIC queue (both tx and rx) for
sending and receiving packets in the netmap userspace program to process a
specific type of packets. There are also other packets from/to the host.

In such case, It seems that I need to open the host queue in my netmap
application and forward all the packets from the host rx queue to the nic
tx queue. The application also needs to filter the irrelevant packets from
the nic rx queue and forward them to the host tx queue.

I am wondering if it is possible to make the kernel ignore the tx queue
attached to netmap application and never forward packets to that tx queue
so that the netmap application never needs to open the host queue in such
use case.

It seems that the problem on the receive side can be addressed by assigning
0 weight to queue attached to the netmap in the indirection table using the
ethtool -x eth weight command. Does the send side has a similar trick?

Best,
Xiaoye