Date:      Sun, 18 Aug 1996 02:05:24 -0400
From:      Lanny Baron <lannyb@cybertouch.com>
To:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Hostname can't be resolved

Hi and goodday,

I recently received FreeBSD from Walnut Creek CDROM. Unfortunateley for
me they forgot to send the manual. CyberTouch is an ISP in Toronto,
Canada. I spent about an hour on Friday speaking to the tech support
department at CDROM.COM and he (Michael) tried very hard to fix the
problem. He suggested that I send this letter to you with regards to the
following problem.

I have installed FreeBSD 2.1.5 and can even get XWindows running. The
problem is, that somewhere I entered server4.cybertouch.com and this is
what you see when booting up the machine. The rest of the network is
running Windows NT 3.51. If I try to send mail, FTP or anything which is
not local to the machine (206.186.50.133) the machine comes back saying
something like "can't resolve hostname" or "can't connect to ....

  How do I fix it so that I can have this machine (64 megs ram, 4.3 GiG
h/d, 3com ethernet card, ethernet to the Internet) to act as a www
server and a ftp server? If I can get it up to acknowledge that it is
part of the network then people can have shell accounts as well,
CyberTouch will be able to be a mirror for FreeBSD if I am allowed to by
either useing the cdroms in our cdrom server or by ftp to this machine.
I am sure if you (whom ever reads this) goes http://206.186.50.133 you
won't get the response from the machine which is a full BSD operating
machine. NO DOS partion, just fully dedicated to FreeBSD. How do I get
it to be able to use Elm or Pine???

  Please help me out as I am stuck and can't really afford to sit for
hours on end talking on the phone to California from Toronto, Canada. As
I mentioned before, I am willing to be a mirror for FreeBSD, we are
connected to the Internet via Ethernet to a T-3 and 3 T-1's which make
for an excellent high speed connection. I just need some help as I have
almost no experience with Unix.

Thankyou ever so much for your time in reading this and the possiblity
of you valuble help.

Lanny Baron
General Manager,
CyberTouch Communications Inc.