Date:      Tue, 29 Jun 1999 14:33:18 -0700
From:      Jamie Norwood <mistwolf@ethereal.net>
To:        Andrew MacIntyre <andymac@bullseye.apana.org.au>
Cc:        Clem.Dye@wdr.com, freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: NetGear FA310-TX???

On Tue, Jun 29, 1999 at 09:48:18PM +1000, Andrew MacIntyre wrote:

> Your rev C card should work nicely with the de driver, as it has a genuine
> DEC Tulip chip.
>
> After Intel acquired many of DEC's chip designs and stopped their
> production, NIC manufacturers had to change to alternative chips.  The
> FA310-TX rev D cards use a Lite-on PNIC chip, for which Bill Paul wrote
> the pn driver.

One thing I have been curious about is if there is a significant difference
between these chipsets, as far as performance is concerned. I have a rev C
and a rev D at home, and while the D seems slower, I can't really deny
that it could just be that it is in a windows box. Has anyone benchmarked
the tulip vs the PNIC?

Jamie