Date:      Tue, 02 May 2000 10:19:33 -0300
From:      Gustavo Pamplona <pamplona@uai.com.br>
To:        Nicolau Werneck <nwerneck@net.em.com.br>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: CD-ROM (again)

Oops, man, was bad. I cannot see, this message is before after the another
one I answered it 'cause my mailbox are fully unorganized.

Again, my FreeBSD is 3.2. I'm old than the other members of this list and
sorry  for my english too.

At 22:24 30/04/00 -0300, you wrote:
>	Hello, again...
>	A slightly different question... :>
>
>	My computer was working fine, with a HD and a CD-ROM  (sony CDU 311)
>attached to the same IDE controller. Then I  installed an SB-16 board, and
>the CD-ROM stopped working (HDD  controlled failure). Then I plugged the
>CD-ROM drive to the SB16  board. The computer worked fine, and I instaled
>the sound board,  except for the fact that the CD doesn't work anymore.
>(cd9660 not  configured when I try to mount. It doen't show um on the
>booting  msgs too)

You had both HD and CD-ROM atached to the same IDE controller. Try to back
to older situation where the CD-ROM and HD worked.

This can be IRQ, DMA or PORT conflits, Take care, man, 'cause after you put
the sound card the CD-ROM simply stopped of work.

Do you have another system that FreeBSD, one example: Windows 95, The three
devices: CD-ROM, HD and Sound Card work fine within Win95.

Search at the System Properties of the Windows 95, for you have knowledge
about the correct ports, irq's and DMA address of the devices.

So, after getted the correct adreesses, Compile the new kernel with these
parameters.

>	What is the right kernel configuration for this case? I changed the
>GENERIC kern (who wasn't working) to sa ythat i have two controllers, with
>one device in each... But doen't work too...
>	I've listened about some tricks with the "master/slave" jumpers, but i
>didn't find nothing on the documentations :/

I don't know, anyway, the GENERIC kernel will work with this situation.

One observation: Is not good to put the "signal cable" of your CD-ROM in
the IDE controller of your sound blaster, Many UN*X systems are not good to
handle these other IDE Controllers and/or devices correctly.

So, try to back to the older situation: You have only a IDE controller with
one or two IDE ports. If you have one port, the best way is you to put the
Hard Disk as master and CD-ROM as Slave. If you have two, put bother as
"master"

Of course, you need to create the special device files under /dev directory.

if your HD and CD-ROM are at the same IDE port. per example

# sh MAKEDEV wcd0 -->  this will create the eight possible partitions or
ways to access the device. Give a look at the MAKEDEV script, I think is cd0

The CD-ROM device, usually is another, "wcd0a" or "wcd0c", Both of these
devices are "symlink" to acd0a and acd0c, the standard CD-ROM IDE Device

>	OBS: would it have something to do with device sbpcd=iobase,type  ????? :/)

Not, this is an owner CD-ROM interface, this is used when you have CD-ROM
devices which cannot have 40 pins.

>tnx... or THX...

What is this ? 8-)

>nwerneck.

   Gustavo Pamplona - pamplona@uai.com.br
Linux User: 137471 - FreeBSD User: FBSD042237
  Linux Slackware 7.0 | FreeBSD 3.2 Release