Date:      Wed, 04 Aug 1999 18:31:03 -0500
From:      Chris Cook <ccook@tcworks.net>
To:        mmason@nunanet.com, freebsd-isp@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: IP Aliasing

Marcel Mason wrote:

> I think, based on what I've read that I would make (for example)  the following
> entry in the /etc/rc.conf file
>
> ifconfig lo0 xxx.xxx.xx.33 netmask 255.255.255.255 alias

ifconfig lo0 alias xxx.xxx.xx.33 works for me, although I do not profess it to be
the "correct" syntax.  It should keep the same netmask that is already bound to
the adapter.

> and thereby be able to use that IP address the same as any of the addresses
> between xxx.xxx.xx.0 - 31. Yes/No?

Yes.

> If yes does this mean that I would have to make individual entries
> in the rc.conf file for each IP address I would like to use between
> xxx.xxx.xx.32 - 63?

You could do that, but I use a script which loads at startup, it's cleaner and
easier to maintain.

> or is there a better way which would allow me to point all
> addresses between xxx.xxx.xx.32 - 63 to lo0 with a single entry?

If there is, please let me know.  Hope my 2cents helps.

--
Chris Cook

Network Administrator
The Computer Works