Date:      Mon, 24 Jul 2000 15:07:12 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Alex Zepeda <jazepeda@pacbell.net>
To:        hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: ELF rtld and environment variables...

On Mon, 24 Jul 2000, John Polstra wrote:

> No, there isn't.  I don't plan to do anything more with the a.out
> dynamic linker, as I consider it obsolete at this point.  I'd
> suggest making a script "run_aout" that looks something like this
> (untested):

Uck.

> BTW, it's generally not a good idea to set either of those environment
> variables globally.  You should only set them in scripts which run
> specific executables that need them to be set.  Besides the a.out
> problem, they affect programs run under Linux emulation too.

Yes, but this is intended to be used for all programs (not an awful idea
IMO, questionable implementation, but what other alternatives are there?).
It's designed to give the user feedback that an application has been
started so one doesn't double click on an icon multiple times.

I'm curious, why do a.out/FreeBSD-elf/Linux-elf programs all respond to
the same variables?  Sure it's perhaps a consistant interface, but
wouldn't somthing like LINUX_LD_LIBRARY_PATH and/or AOUT_LD_LIBRARY_PATH
make more sense?

- alex